Saturday, October 31, 2009

To Market, to market

Posted by Jennifer

The last Tuesday in October is one of those warm, slightly hazy days that defines Indian summer, a day that makes you forget that slush season is just around the corner. Remember we must, since it is the final day for the Riverdale Farm Farmers Market. There are a surprisingly large number of both vendors and customers including several little children in their Hallowe'en finery.

I stock up on staples—garlic, onions, carrots (fancy red ones from Sosnicki Organic Produce - who are year round at Dufferin Grove and the Green Barn), and more from the Quinte Organic Farmers’ Cooperative. Since I am running out of olive oil, I try a small bottle of olive grower Angelos Kapeleris’s oil. If I like it, it too will be at Dufferin Grove and Green Barn over the winter. I almost resist the urge to buy a jug of cider after trying a sample from Lynn and Ralph Robitaille of Pineapple Orchards in Penetanguishine. I resolutely head for the gates, before turning back for that one last purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment