Saturday, September 5, 2009

To Market, to market

Posted by Jennifer

I feel as though I have hit the jackpot this week. My prizes? The first was a two quart basket of damson plums from Andrews Scenic Acres. Damsons are few and far between and usually only available for two or three weeks. I have used half of them to make a small batch of conserves -- just plums, orange juice, water, and sugar. The down side of damsons is the horror of pitting them, so anything -- such as these conserves -- in which you cook them, then skim the pits from the surface, is a bonus. A treat for the senses, the aroma of simmering damsons is absolutely intoxicating. The finished product is velvety on the tongue, and its rich blue/red a visual delight. Unlike many jams and conserves, it is quite tart.

My other great treat comes from my Potato Lady, Ayse Akoner, who offers me a handful of her newly harvested Peruvian potatoes. They are a dark, inky blue all the way through. Simply boiled, they, like German butterballs, combine a great sense of fullness on the palate with rich flavour. I cannot wait for more! On top of that, the long-awaited LaRatte fingerlings are finally ready. My over-indulgence in nightshade plants continues.

*Special Note*
Our commenting feature has just been activated, and we look forward to receiving your feedback about both our blog and our store. Please take advantage of this tool and share your thoughts and comments with us. We can't wait to get to know you better!

No comments:

Post a Comment