Thursday, August 5, 2010

To Market, To Market on August 4, 2010

Hot, still, and hazy, this was the quintessential August day.  My day off plus perfect weather made it a two market day.  I went to City Hall for the first time this year.  The immediate thing that hit me was what an international market this one is.  Not in terms of sellers but in terms of shoppers--a multitude of colors and languages.  By comparison, the produce offered is much more conventional with fewer heirloom fruits and vegetables,more red tomatoes, not so many green, brown or yellow.Two favorites from other markets--Andrews Scenic Acres and Thames Valley Melons--are here.  The Andrews have added corn and stone fruits to their usual amazing selection of soft fruits.  I picked up black currants, now well on their way to becoming sorbet.  The prize at Thames River was charentais melon.



I journeyed west to Borden Street in the afternoon with visions of Jens Eller's bacon  and O.K. Farms harvest apples dancing in my head.  What I got was a reminder that when you shop outside a supermarket, you can't always get what you want when you want it.  The bacon is gone until fall; the apples are gone until this time next year! Seasons do still exist,however much we would like to think otherwise.

Fortunately, the peaches, potatoes--rose gold and bintjes-, and  beets made up for the disappointment. The money I didn't spend on bacon was invested in Chabichou's house butter.  Excellent with Thames River's Gourmet Sweet corn and a sprinkle of Maldon salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment